DESIGNING AND ASSESSING INTERCULTURAL LEARNING
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 10, 2020 // CHICAGO, IL // HOSTED BY LAKE FOREST ACADEMY
Join the GEBG community for an in-depth look at evolving research, engaging questions, and exemplary school models around developing and implementing global curricula in our schools.
- Are you leading curricular initiatives, working to integrate global competencies or global citizenship education into classrooms at your school?
- Are you exploring new and innovative ways to generate student-driven learning with a global focus, preparing them for a more interconnected world?
- Are you looking for tools and models to assess intercultural competence–in students and faculty?
- Are you thinking strategically about how students practice global competencies year after year, culminating in key demonstrations of learning?
- Are you interested to hear about how other schools use creative program-design to maximize learning–from mini-mesters to diploma programs?
- Are you exploring ways to bring academic focus and credit to global travel programs, or ways to bring global experiential education into the education of all your graduates in a cost-effective way?
This one-day summit will feature both break-out sessions on specific topics as well as feature presentations from school leaders and university researchers.
Featured Session: Assessing Intercultural Learning
GEBG has partnered with leaders from Purdue University’s Center for Intercultural Learning, Mentorship, Assessment and Research to curate specifically for GEBG a collection of vetted, research-based intercultural learning and assessment tools that are particularly apt for K-12 students and their teachers. This 90 minute featured workshop with review this collection of assessment tools and how best to use them, and participants will get to know and interact with some of the tools. Educators at this event will also be the first to join a GEBG “sandbox” within Purdue’s online hub for intercultural learning resources and research (HubICL) with customized resources for our community. The presenters will share how participants can use this tool to continue collaborating with other schools to share feedback and stay current as new tools emerge.
Additional Sessions include
>> Classroom Course Development: Building global learning into academic courses, from embedding international field work in an elective to fostering local student action on issues of global significance in a for-credit course.
>> Curriculum Design: Identifying student learning outcomes for global education, building stakeholder buy-in, and designing programming/courses towards these outcomes.
>> Assessment and Demonstrations of Student Learning: Developing reasonable, focused, and understandable opportunities for students to demonstrate learning–in knowledge, skills, dispositions, and habits.
>> Developing Pathways: Designing, supporting, advocating for, and developing community understanding around specialized pathways with a focus on global citizenship (i.e. global scholars, global diplomas/certificates, etc…
>> Utilizing Non-Traditional Opportunities: Creating, building, designing, and sustaining non-traditional learning sessions in our schools (i.e. mini-mesters, J-terms, week or multi-week off-campus learning experiences, etc…).
Monday, February 10, 2020
7:30 AM: Shuttle bus transportation from hotel to Lake Forest Academy
8:00 – 8:30 AM: Registration & coffee
8:30 – 4:00 PM: Global Summit on Curriculum
4:00 – 5:00 PM: Networking happy hour (on campus)
Lake Forest Academy, just north of Chicago, IL, has a long-standing and innovative global education program. LFA offers a transformative boarding school experience through a culture of participation characterized by rigorous academics, a global outlook and Midwestern values.
Price for Summit : $175 USD for member schools, $195 for non member school registration. Includes programming and lunch. Spots in this program are limited.
We have reserved a room block at the Hotel Indigo for $109 on Sunday night and $119 on Monday night if you stay over. Book online or by phone. The group code is Lake Forest Academy / GEBG
Hotel Indigo // 50 North Milwaukee Ave, Vernon Hills, IL 60061, // 847-918-1400